Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole
Write a review
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 3 shallots, diced
- 2 large or 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 3 Tbsp plain flour
- 14 oz fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (6 oz) pkg long-grain and wild rice mix, season packet discarded
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 chicken breasts and brown for 1 minute on each side until browned, but not cooked through. Set aside. Cook remaining chicken.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 more seconds. Add mushrooms and stir frequently about 4 minutes. Stir in sherry and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Melt remaining butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and make a roux, whisking constantly until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add chicken broth and continue to whisk approximately 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Add rice, parmesan, parsley, sage, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add shallot and mushroom mixture.
- Pour rice mixture into an oiled casserole dish and top with browned chicken. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Top with toasted almonds. Serve.
- Although using a stick of butter sounds terrible, divided into 6 servings with lean chicken breast cutlets and fat-free chicken broth, one serving is about 400 calories or less. I served with roasted carrots. With a low-fat veggie side, you have a 515-525 calorie meal! Enjoy!!